Wednesday, April 27, 2011

For the Love of TCU

For the Love of TCU
Original design, piecing, and hand-guided machine quilting by Natalie Ford.
Dimensions: TBA
April 27, 2011
Design and photographs ©Natalie Ford – All rights reserved.
__________________________________________

I just finished another T-shirt quilt -- just after 7:00 this morning.  I had created a hand-written tag for the quilt, but the pen I used had too fine a tip, and the ink looked faded after a turn in the wash.  I ran into Joann's and bought a pack of 8.5" x 11" fabric/paper yesterday afternoon.  The ink stuck well and the label looks more polished, but getting the paper backing off is a bear.

This a birthday gift.  The gift-giver will sign her name in the blank space.
©Natalie Ford –  All rights reserved.

This lap quilt is for a TCU fan; since he didn't have a horned frog T-shirt collection already, I picked out nine shirts at Academy about a month after the football team won the Rose Bowl.

The finished quilt, this morning.
©Natalie Ford –  All rights reserved.

The quilting is my favorite part, and I have to remind myself not to make my designs too small or intricate. I am very pleased with the trace of the quilting on the back (notice that the clusters of smaller flowers versus larger flowers affect the brightness of the quilt).

©Natalie Ford –  All rights reserved.

Despite having always said that I would never do machine embroidery, I changed course as I constructed this quilt.  I created the words "horned frogs" using my grandmother's Bernina Artista, which has a machine embroidery module.  Once I got the thread and fabric tension sorted out, the embroidery went quickly.

©Natalie Ford –  All rights reserved.

Below are a few close-ups.  Enjoy!

The final inches.
April 25, 2011
©Natalie Ford –  All rights reserved.

©Natalie Ford –  All rights reserved.



©Natalie Ford –  All rights reserved.

©Natalie Ford –  All rights reserved.

4 comments:

lovetocraft said...

I can't wait to give hime the best birthday gift in our 25 years of marriage!! He's going to be blown away when he opens this "AWESOME" quilt! Your creativity is beyond "WOW"!! It is truly an amazing piece of art to be treasured......Hugs, Deb :)

Jessica said...

I LOVE this quilt!!! I have been searching for that "perfect" one/creator and I LOVE this quilt! Do you still make them?

Swingkitten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Swingkitten said...

That is gorgeous! I want one just like it! How do I order one?