Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sprouts and more Sprouts

In mid-February, my in-laws drove in to take me and my husband out for a birthday meal (both of us have February birthdays). Part of the visit involved "Christmas," otherwise known as present-time, and we each received a "healthy" gift. My husband received a brand new yogurt maker, circa 1970, purchased from eBay. My mother-in-law has the same one and had purchased a back-up but never needed to use it. The appliance works perfectly, and my husband loves it.

My healthy gift was the Leafy Sprout Starter Kit sold by The Sprout People. The Easy Sprout Sprouter allows you to grow two tablespoons of sprout seeds in less than a week and requires very little counter space or sunlight. Really, all you need is seeds and water for rinsing the seeds each day. 

I've finished growing my first batch of sprouts (French Garden blend)--two tablespoons of seeds makes an enormous quantity of sprouts.


The Leafy Sprout Starter Kit comes with nine one-quarter pound bags of sprout seeds. Each bag of seeds is equivalent to 10 tablespoons of sprouts, which produces the pictured amount of sprouts five times over. That's 45 batches of sprouts, which is roughly one year's worth of sprouts if you can figure out how to eat an enormous quantity of sprouts within one week's time. 

If you, like me, have a hard time imagining how to eat this many sprouts in one week, you might decide to grow only one tablespoon worth of sprouts the next time around.

Ladies and gentlemen, my mother-in-law has given me the gift that never stops giving: 90 batches of grow-your-own sprouts. 

Start sending recipes.

No comments: