Friday, May 2, 2014

Meet Midget Block 62

Until yesterday, I had stalled out on my Dear Jane. I was working at a pretty fast clip until I hit Row G, Block 2. You can see the version Anina (author of the blog "That Quilt") created here. The block just doesn't speak to me. Last weekend I did a search for 4.5" blocks and found the Sentimental Stitches website. Under "Free Patterns" is a treasure trove of 4.5" of "Midget Blocks," based on a Depression-era quilt. The patterns for blocks 1-50 are no longer free, but (as of now) you can still download the patterns for blocks 51-174.

I decided to replace G-2 with Midget Block 62:

The directions printed with the block suggest a combination of paper-piecing (which I did) and hand-piecing. I didn't think through the construction of the block before beginning, so regular hand-piecing wasn't an option. Instead, I ended up stitching together the star, then turning under 1/4" on all edges. I hand appliqued the star to background fabric.

I don't recommend doing this. Instead, I suggest paper-piecing the striped diamonds. Rather than trim them, leave each piece larger than it needs to be. Then, create an English paper-piecing template for the diamonds, triangles and squares. Sew those pieces together by hand. Now I know!

No comments: